[NTG-context] New typescript mechanism for weights/opticals?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Sep 22 14:01:33 CEST 2010

On 22-9-2010 1:35, Marco wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I like Mojcas idea for new typescripts:
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%
> \startsomenewfonttypescriptcommand [kepler]
>    [width={condensed,semicondensed,*regular,extended}]
>    [size={caption,*regular,subhead,display},switch={10pt,12pt,17pt}]
>    [weight={light,*regular,medium,semibold,*bold,black}]
> %%%%%%%%%%%
> \switchtofontdimension[width=semicondensed,weight={light,medium}]
> %%%%%%%%%%%

sure. looks nice, but the outcome is quite unpredictable unless you know
the font and that in turn demands some investiation on the users end

> That would make different weight/opticals font handling much less cumbersome.
> At the moment its no fun dealing with weights/opticals.

it will never be fun ... (in most cases one will use suggested
combinations and then for odd cases like a section title something special)

> I really would appreciate that (or any other easy usable) solution that
> provides a standardized way to handle weights/opticals with not too much
> overhead.

given the huge differences in font collections there will never be an
easy way with fonts that come in many weights/widths/sizes .. at least I
cannot remember a project that I did where any system was present