[NTG-context] How to use a true type font?

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Wed Sep 22 13:49:09 CEST 2010

>> You need to put it to
>> a) c:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-local\data\<politebutnotneededtoputfontnamefolderhere>\BrickToBrick.ttf
>> b) c:\ConTeXt\tex\texmf-local\fonts\opentype\brick\BrickToBrick.ttf
>> (or truetype instead of opentype; I'm not sure what kind of font it
>> is, but on the other hand I don't think that it really matters)
>
> An interesting observation: the font won't work if you put it under
> opentype, it only works if you put it under truetype or data. But your
> input works fine.

  It used to be that kpathsea looked for files with a .ttf extension
under truetype/ exclusively, and likewise for .otf and opentype/.  This
is not correct because as you know, OpenType fonts can have a .ttf
extension if they use TrueType outlines (this is the case for all fonts
installed by default on Windows), but this is not a requirement (only a
"polite" thing to do for older rendering engines).  In order to add to
the confusion, this behaviour has been changed in TeX Live 2010 where
the list of directories searched for is now basically the same for .ttf
and .otf (but in a different order -- I told you it was confusing :-)

  Anyway, Mark IV should have no problem with it and disregard the file
extension completely.  It makes little sense anyway for ConTeXt.

	Arthur