[NTG-context] (Xe)ConTeXt and CJK support

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 12 09:10:04 CEST 2010

Am 09.09.2010 um 10:21 schrieb S Barmeier:

> Dear ConTeXt users,
>
> I am trying to write a document (grammar notes) in English and Japanese
> and so far have used XeTeX (for Unicode support) with tikZ (for
> graphics) quite successfully. However, I wish to convert to (Xe)ConTeXt
> in order to have more control over the page design.
>
> At the moment I am stuck at trying to define English and Japanese fonts.
> In XeTeX I used
>
> \usepackage[BoldFont]{xeCJK}
> \setCJKmainfont{IPAMincho}
> \setCJKsansfont{IPAGothic}
> \setCJKmonofont{KanjiStrokeOrders}
>
> in order to set the three different Japanese fonts I am using.
>
> I haven't found any documentation on how to implement something
> equivalent in ConTeXt and would be most grateful if someone could
> outline how I would best go about converting my XeTeX document to ConTeXt.

With MkIV you can set different fonts for Japanese with the fontfallback
mechanism, there is not documentation about it but you can on the net
a few examples how to use it:

- http://liyanrui.is-programmer.com/2009/10/21/not-just-for-chinese.12264.html
- http://liyanrui.is-programmer.com/posts/5737.html
- http://blogs.gnome.org/happyaron/2009/11/02/font-fallback-in-context-mininals/

The simplefonts modules provides a fontspec inspired interface to use
the mechanism in a simpler way:

\usemodule[simplefonts]

\setcjkmainfont[IPAMincho]
\setcjksansfont[IPAGothic]