[NTG-context] beta

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Sep 10 00:08:36 CEST 2010

Hi,

I uploaded a beta. There have been some changes in the initial font
default load->cache method is unchanged (and tagged table') but you can
configure others (given tat you run luatex 0.63)

There are three optional levels of intermediate garbage collection:

   \enabledirectives[fonts.otf.loader.cleanup=1] % true|false 1 2 3

The higher the number, the less memory is used (I'm preparing a chapter
for hybrid.pdf that discusses these methods and gives some statistics).
By default cleanup is turned off. Garbage collection efficiency differs
per situation and is somewhat platform dependent.

There are three methods but only table and sparse make sense:

   \enabledirectives[fonts.otf.loader.method=table]
   \enabledirectives[fonts.otf.loader.method=mixed]
   \enabledirectives[fonts.otf.loader.method=sparse]

In some cases sparse might save a bit of memory but at the cost of
runtime and even then it only concerns making a font cache-ready so in
practice it is seldom needed to change the defaults.

Only mess around with these directives if you are convinced that it will
improve your situation. As said, these are the results of an experiment
so we keep them around.

If no serious problems are found in the beta I will release a current,
so that we're nicely in sync with todays luatex beta.