[NTG-context] Migrations: exactly LaTeX margins --> ConTeXt margins

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 31 12:22:48 CEST 2010

Am 30.08.2010 um 08:33 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> On 29-8-2010 7:11, Xan xan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to "migrate" one LaTeX document to ConTeXt document. I only want to
>> put the _exact_ margins LaTeX use for \documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}.
>>

>> Anyone could say me the exact values I have to put in **layout**?
>
> You first have to figure out what the exact latex values are. I suppose that they are documented somewhere or can be deduced from the document class (maybe make a list for more popular document classes).
>
> At some point there can be a module doing things like
>
> \definelayout[latex-article][...]

I looked now in the files where the layout for the standard classes in latex
is defined and it's a mess to reproduce them in context because all values
depend on the papersize and fontsize and it takes a lot of code (even with
etex’s \dimexpr) because there are checks whether a calculated dimensions
exceeds a fixed limit.

This is how the layout for a document with a fontsize of 10pt looks:

\definelayout
  [latex10]
  [width=\ifdim\dimexpr\paperwidth-2in\relax>345pt\relax 345pt\else\dimexpr\paperwidth-2in\relax\fi, % \paperwidth-2in or 345pt, use the smaller value
   backspace=\dimexpr(\paperwidth-\textwidth)/2-1in\relax,
   leftmargindistance=7pt,
   leftmargin=,
   topspace=,
   header=12pt,