[NTG-context] Fwd: Migrations: exactly LaTeX margins --> ConTeXt margins

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 17:03:49 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 16:02, Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:
> Xan xan wrote:
>
>> There is a technical explanation in "The Not so Short Introduction to
>> LaTeX" [tobi.oetiker.ch/lshort/lshort.pdf]
>> (page 129)
>>
>> It's too much for me. I supose there are equivalencies in ConTeXt but
>> too bit tech for me.
> You can \show (\showthe? I don't remember) vairous LaTeX dimensions:
>
> Also look at http://www.mccme.ru/free-books/llang/newllang.pdf page 166. It
> is in Russian but the scheme should be self-explanatory. "дюйм" means
> "inch". I'm too lazy to find such scheme in English.

Comparing with page 129 (143) of
    http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf
... (which is almost the same as the Russian drawing)

it is possible to reverse-engineer the dimensions, but I crossed
against something I don't understand straight away. The distance
between paper border and text is [1]+[3]=1 inch + 0pt + 22pt (but that
doesn't seem to be the case in A4 paper setting anyway), while width
of left margin in [10] = 106pt which makes the margin stick out of
paper, right?

One could experiment with settings like these:

\setuplayout
  [backspace=\dimexpr 1in+22pt\relax, % [1] + [3] = (1 inch +
\hoffset=0pt) + \oddsidemargin=22pt
   leftmargindistance=7pt, % [9] = \marginparsep=7pt
   leftmargin=106pt, % [10] = \marginparwidth=106pt
  ]
% etc.
\starttext
\showlayout
\inleft{some text very very very very long margin}
\input tufte
\stoptext

but the drawing in TNSS is lying a bit (or maybe ConTeXt is wrong ... :).

Mojca