[NTG-context] textext vs. btex ... etex

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Aug 17 17:34:33 CEST 2010

On 17-8-2010 4:32, Oliver Buerschaper wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to troubleshoot a problem with TeX labels I ran into the other day... finally I discovered that
>
> 1. MkIV (textext) includes TeX material as one single chunk apparently while MkII (btex ... etex) used to include a decomposable picture and that
> 2. the anchor point is completely different!
>
> Is there any way to restore both the "individual addressing" of glyphs and the MkII anchor point in MkIV?
>
> This would be crucial for a customized labelling macro...
>
> Best,
> Oliver
>

> P.S. Why is "h," included as one piece in MkII?

the fact that you have pieces in mkii is a side effect of dvitomp
turning dvi output in mp pictures; in the process it combines glyphs
that have no kerning and whatever spacing becomes shifts

in mkiv the text is treated as a whole and that will not change

so, if in mkiv you want pieces, you need to textext each snippet that
you want as such

keep in mind that the way mkii (read: external tex processing and
dvitomp) works is quite unpredictable