[NTG-context] CharisSIL doesn't load

Martin Althoff martin.althoff at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 3 06:21:16 CEST 2010

Using the typescript for CharisSIL as given doesn't work for me. "Modern" is substituted (as should be). It appears to load the mkiv file, but not the fonts, What am I doing wrong? Example below.

(on Mac: MTXrun | current version: 2010.07.30 11:35, LuaTeX, Version beta-0.61.0-2010072816)

-- I have adapted to the type-charissil.mkiv to fit the font names as reported on my system  and set OSFONTDIR=/System/Library/Fonts;~/FontLib/opensource;/Library/Fonts;~/FontLib/context-use;

mtxrun --script font --list --all --name --pattern=charis

charissil             charissil             /Users/martin/FontLib/opensource/CharisSIL/CharisSILR.ttf
charissilbold         charissilbold         /Users/martin/FontLib/opensource/CharisSIL/CharisSILB.ttf
charissilbolditalic   charissilbolditalic   /Users/martin/FontLib/opensource/CharisSIL/CharisSILBI.ttf
charissilitalic       charissilitalic       /Users/martin/FontLib/opensource/CharisSIL/CharisSILI.ttf
charissilnormal       charissilitalic       /Users/martin/FontLib/opensource/CharisSIL/CharisSILI.ttf

The output shows that the the mkiv file is certainly found:
(/Users/martin/contextMini/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/third/typescripts/type-charissil.mkiv)

It _will_ work perfectly fine, i.e. work-around, if I combine the type-charissil.tex and type-charissil.mkiv into a single file! See my working type-charissil.mkiv below. I also hide the .tex file!

Example:

\setupbodyfont[charissil,12pt]
\starttext
\showbodyfont
\input tufte
\stoptext

Working type-charissil.mkiv
----------------------------
%D \module
%D   [       file=type-charissil,
%D        version=2008.04.21,
%D          title=\CONTEXT\ Typescript Macros,
%D       subtitle=Charis SIL Font Definitions,
%D         author=Wolfgang Schuster,
%D           date=\currentdate,
%D      copyright=Wolfgang Schuster]
%C
%C Copyright 2009 Wolfgang Schuster.
%C This file may be distributed under the GNU General Public License v. 2.0.
\starttypescript [serif] [charissil]
    \setups[font:fallback:serif]
    \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [CharisSIL-Regular]    [features=default]
    \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [CharisSIL-Italic]     [features=default]
    \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [CharisSIL-Bold]       [features=default]
    \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [CharisSIL-BoldItalic] [features=default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [charissil]
    \definetypeface [charissil] [rm] [serif] [charissil] [default]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [charissil]
    \definefontsynonym [CharisSIL-Regular]    [name:charissil]             [features=default]
    \definefontsynonym [CharisSIL-Italic]     [name:charissilitalic]      [features=default]
    \definefontsynonym [CharisSIL-Bold]       [name:charissilbold]        [features=default]
    \definefontsynonym [CharisSIL-BoldItalic] [name:charissilbolditalic] [features=default]
\stoptypescript

\endinput