[NTG-context] Grammar (was: Semantic data in ConTeXt?)

Rory Molinari quokka at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 18:53:18 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:48 AM, John Haltiwanger
<john.haltiwanger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Whether it is useless/'no problem exists' is not up to you to decide:
> it is up to those who do find it important. As long as some people
> find it important, no childish dismissals will remove that importance.
>
> It seems the most successful/widely adopted form is to vary from 'he'
> to 'she' (so that in one sentence you use one, in the next another).
> Some authors even change the gender within a sentence. This method was
> adopted because 'one' (the "real" correct unisex pronoun) is just too
> awkward for extended use. The morphographic he/she/he/she method reads
> surprisingly well.

I would find a switch like that weird and disconcerting, as if the
text were "unmoored" in some sense.

I usually flip a coin to choose between "he" and "she" before I start
a document, and stick with it.  (If I think the issue might be of
interest to the reader I add a footnote explaining this.)

I very much dislike the singular "they", though its use goes back centuries.

Cheers,
Rory