[NTG-context] two problems for bib module

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Jul 22 17:06:26 CEST 2010

On 22-7-2010 2:27, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> I'm afraid I can't really help you with your problems; I have just a thought on # 2.: at it's core, bibtex is still a 7-bit application. Development on replacements has begun - there's bibtexu, which is in TL2010, there's biber; none of them is quite mature yet. If memory serves right, Hans said that in the future, he wants to bypass bibtex altogether and develop something of his own. So, long story short: if you use Chinese characters in a .bib file, it's hit-or-miss; it's unreliable and may or may not work. There's nothing ConTeXt can do about that as things stand now.

in principle it is possible but i need testers etc etc etc as i never
use this feature myself

the attached example does not use bibtex at all, the bib file is read
into mem (could also be an xml file) and it never sees bibtex

there is a bxml-apa.mkiv file that you'l probably recognize ..

\settrue \tracebibtexformat

can be fun too