[NTG-context] Tables for newbies [WAS Re: imbalanced columns]

Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد ishamid at colostate.edu
Fri Jul 16 17:51:07 CEST 2010

Hi Peter,

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 07:05:19 -0600, Peter Münster <pmlists at free.fr> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 15 2010, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس   سماوي حامد wrote:
>
>> Question for all: for MkIV, should we recommend ONLY natural tables to
>> newcomers, e.g., in a ConTeXt Book?
>
> Hello Idris,
>
> For me, it's yes!  But newcomers need to pay attention in some cases:
> - alignment (see issue http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=427 )
> - TABLEhead is repeated, TABLEfoot is not
>   (see issue http://tracker.luatex.org/view.php?id=116 )

Sure, hopefully by the time we get to that point the bugs will be fixed.

I also see that Wolfgang has wrapped some of the old Tables syntax into a
module (as Aditya hinted)... I missed all of these developments :-)

The Tables syntax is certainly less verbose, and may be useful for
beginners. But for pedagogical purposes it makes sense to consider
Table/Tables deprecated, if not obsolete... So the pedagogical challenge
is to make TABLE as easy as possible, perhaps teaching \start/stopTABLE as
intro and \b/eTABLE as advanced.

Best wishes
Idris
International Journal of Shīʿī Studies