[NTG-context] Tables for newbies [WAS Re: imbalanced columns]

Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد ishamid at colostate.edu
Thu Jul 15 19:45:20 CEST 2010

Hi Aditya,

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 11:37:32 -0600, Aditya Mahajan <adityam at umich.edu>
wrote:

> Have you tried using natural tables. Now you can use them with almost
> the same amount of typing as the old table macros.
>  \startTABLE
> \NC text 1 \NC text 2 \NC\NR
> \NC text 3 \NC text 4 \NC\NR
> \stopTABLE

Question for all: for MkIV, should we recommend ONLY natural tables to
newcomers, e.g., in a ConTeXt Book?

I have not used Natural Tables too much, but I can switch to those for
future work and consider Tables deprecated for most purposes.

Mainly a pedagogical/practical question: better to have one good way to do
things than burdening folks with too much info...

>  and you have a high level interface of \setupTABLE (although I do not
> know if natural tables support equal column widths)

I guess we'll find out soon enough... ;-)

Best wishes
Idris
International Journal of Shīʿī Studies
Department of Philosophy