[NTG-context] horizontal alignment

Michael Goerz goerz at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sat Jul 10 07:15:03 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 7:13 AM, Michael Murphy
<michael.murphy at uni-ulm.de> wrote:
> On 09/07/10 01:32, Michael Goerz wrote:
>> I'm trying to do some horizontal alignment, for typesetting poetry.
>> How would you solve this kind of problem? I've considered defining a
>> macro \BrokenLine[line1][line2] that does the above. But, there are
>> also instances where there are two or more lines as a continuation of
>> one previous line. Maybe there is a possibility to mark a horizontal
>> position temporarily, and then jump to that position later?
>
> Anyway, this is a crappy solution and you could probably make it better. As
> far as I'm aware, there is no way to get the current horizontal position
> across the page at any particular moment. The method below essentially just
> measures the length of the line that you want to enter, and sets this as the
> indent.
>
> \dimendef\indentl=10
>
> \def\savewidth#1{%
>  \setbox0=\hbox{#1}%
>  \copy0%
>  \indentl=\wd0%
> }
>
> \def\addtosavewidth#1{%
>  \setbox0=\hbox{#1}%
>  \mindent\copy0%
>  \advance\indentl by \wd0%
> }
>
> \def\mindent{\hskip\indentl}
Thanks, Michael, that works great!

Just out of interest: why does \savewidth create a newline
if there's more text on the same line,
(like this:
   \savewidth{start of line} and some more text
)
while \addtosavewidth does not? The difference is the \hskip in front
of the \copy0%; if I add \hskip0pt in front of the the \copy in
\savewidth, there's also no newline -- but how does that make sense?

Michael