[NTG-context] nomarking function in MKIV

Alan BRASLAU alan.braslau at cea.fr
Thu Jul 1 11:44:34 CEST 2010

On Thursday 01 July 2010 11:23:01 Peter Münster wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 01 2010, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> > Functionality such as the subject of this thread
> > should be available by default, without having to mess with macros.
> > In particular, functionality present in LaTeX for quite some time
> > should be possible within ConTeXt rather easily, the ConTeXt way,
> > of course.
>
> The ConTeXt way is now: \startchapter[...] \stopchapter
> When you don't need the extra functionality, you can use the old \chapter
> command, but when you need it, the just use the new environment.

This is an unsatisfactory statement, indeed.

No one has answered my question about to what belongs any text
between a proceding \stopchapter and a following \startchapter, as in
\startchapter{title}
\stopchapter
some text
\startchapter{next title}
\stopchapter

There remains thus some logical/structural problem with this new scheme.
(This does not mean, at all, that I dislike the \start \stop syntax.)

> > Thus,
> >
> >   \chapter[toc-entry]{title}
> >
> > of LaTeX should have its equivalent in ConTeXt,
> >
> > and this would be logically something like:
> >   \chapter [title={title},list={toc-entry}]
>
> Why? LaTeX is not the reference for ConTeXt.

So you/we have nothing to learn from years of experience and use of LaTeX?
It is indeed not a reference, but an indicator.

Do not forget, as well, that many new ConTeXt users will be coming from
LaTeX...

Alan