[NTG-context] nomarking function in MKIV

Alan BRASLAU alan.braslau at cea.fr
Thu Jul 1 10:16:03 CEST 2010

On Thursday 01 July 2010 00:35:44 Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 30.06.10 10:19, schrieb Alan BRASLAU:
> >
> > Additionally,
> > \chapter [title={First chapter},list={First}]
> > does not work. Logically this should work just as \startchapter.
>
> This won't happen

So it is not a good idea?
Or just complicated to implement, currently?

> but what you can do is to write a macro which accepts
> different values for
> headers/footers, the running text and the toc (i know the entries in the
> toc and text are wrong).

There is an entire class of users who will not get involved
writing macros, for whom \unprotect \protect is unknown.
I know that this is certainly *not* your case.

Following is a (somewhat long) reflection:

Functionality such as the subject of this thread
should be available by default, without having to mess with macros.
In particular, functionality present in LaTeX for quite some time
should be possible within ConTeXt rather easily, the ConTeXt way,
of course.

Thus,
  \chapter[toc-entry]{title}
of LaTeX should have its equivalent in ConTeXt,
and this would be logically something like:
  \chapter [title={title},list={toc-entry}]

Furthermore,
  \chapter*{title}
of LaTeX should also have its simple equivalent in ConTeXt,
and this would be logically something like:
  \chapter [number=no] {title}

Considering figures, tables, etc., in LaTeX we have:
  \begin{figure}[where]
    figure
    \caption[lof-entry]{figure caption}
    \label{fig:reference}
  \end{figure}
and in ConTeXt:
  \placefigure [where] [fig:reference]
    {caption}
    {figure}
which could very logically be:
  \placefigure [where] [fig:reference] [caption=no]
    {figure}
and
  \placefigure [where] [fig:reference] [caption={caption},list={lof-entry}]
    {figure}
the ConTeXt way!

Alan

P.S. While on the subject, in TeX, LaTeX and ConTeXt we have:
  $$ displayed math $$
and additionally in LaTeX, we have:
  \begin*{equation}
    displayed math
  \end{equation}
while in ConTeXt we have
  \placeformula [-]
    $$ displayed math $$
or, alternately (to get spacing right)
  \placeformula [-]
    \startformula
      displayed math
    \stopformula

Whereas I understand \placelist, \placecontent, etc.
I don't really understand the logic of
  \placeformula, \placefigure, \placetable
for floats.
Especially now that I just discovered the existence of
  \startfiguretext \stopfiguretext
OK, there are different mechanisms behind \startfiguretext
and \placefigure: it is not a float but a box:
  \startfiguretext [left] {none}
    {\externalfigure [figure] [width=w]}
    text
  \stopfiguretext
akin to
  \placesidebyside
    {\externalfigure [figure] [width=w]}
    {\framed [frame=no,width=\textwidth-w,align=text] {text}}

Would not
  \startfloatfigure [where] [fig:reference] [caption={text}]
    figure
  \stopfloatfigure
and
  \startfloattable [where] [tab:reference] [caption={text}]
    figure
  \stopfloattable
etc. be much more logical, coherent?
Furthermore, we could have:
  \startformula [where] [eqn:reference] [number=no]
    displayed math
  \stopformula
where "where" could be "here", "inline", etc.