[NTG-context] Palatino Linotype under MKIV

Paul Schalck schickele at web.de
Tue Jun 29 11:15:42 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to use the full glyph range of the Palatino Linotype font shipped
with XP (version 1.40; significantly different from the Windows 7 one) under
MKIV. Everything works fine (oldstyle figures, sups for instance), except
that the small cap "i" character has a dot whereas it shouldn't.

Here's a test file. The result, produced on WinXP / ConTeXt beta 2010-06-23,
is attached.

\definefontfeature[palatinolt-default][script=latn,kern=yes,liga=yes,trep=yes,tlig=yes,protrusion=quality]
\definefontfeature[palatinolt-smcp][script=latn,kern=yes,liga=yes,trep=yes,tlig=yes,protrusion=quality,smcp=yes,onum=yes]
\definefontfeature[palatinolt-sups][mode=node,script=latn,kern=yes,liga=yes,trep=yes,tlig=yes,protrusion=quality,sups=yes]

\starttypescript[serif][palatinolt][name]
\usetypescript[serif][fallback]
\definefontsynonym[Serif][file:pala.ttf][features=palatinolt-default]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBold][file:palab.ttf][features=palatinolt-default]
\definefontsynonym[SerifItalic][file:palai.ttf][features=palatinolt-default]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic][file:palabi.ttf][features=palatinolt-default]
\definefontsynonym[SerifCaps][file:pala.ttf][features=palatinolt-smcp]
\stoptypescript

\definetypeface[palatinolt][rm][serif][palatinolt][default]

\setupbodyfont[palatinolt]
\enableprotruding\setuppagenumbering[location=]

\starttext
{\sc \input knuth }
\stoptext

As far as I can see, it has to do with the messy name list of the glyphs.
Both the normal small cap i and the small cap dotted i are named "i.sc", but
the wrong one is picked when the smcp feature is activated. Moreover, the
small cap glyphs have no unicode numbers in this font, so I cannot pick them
manually with \char"XXXX or even with \charXXXXX.

Any ideas how I can get the right dottless i?