[NTG-context] vim syntax highlighting in MKIV

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Sun Jun 27 04:38:35 CEST 2010

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 25-6-2010 9:48, Martin 'golodhrim' Scholz wrote:
>> Hi Hans, Mojca, Aditya and List,
>>
>> just tried to use the vim Syntax Highlighting module in ConTeXt MKIV, but
>> if running the documents complains it searches a file called
>>
>> 	filename-vimsyntax.tmp-vimsyntax.tmp
>>
>> sure that file not exists but there is a file called
>>
>> 	filename-vimsyntax.tmp
>>
>> is there a way to do a workaround so that the vim Syntaxhighlighting
>> module would work in MKIV or does it need to be rewriten completedly?
>
> probably something that M or A can fix easily

Something changed in mtxrun ...

Earlier (checked on the 2009.12.31) if I used

mtxrun bin:vim kpse:2context.vim

the "kpse:2context.vim" was expanded to the full path of 2context.vim.
Now (in 2010.06.20), "kpse:2context.vim" expands to "tree://<full-path>".
Of couse, vim does not understand the tree:// prefix and cannot load the
file. Is there an option to avoid the tree:// prefix?

Almost all the errors in t-vim over the years have due to trying to
support kpse: directive. (The errors were not a fault of ConTeXt, but the
way quotes are handled by cmd.exe and the various shells in *nix. I still
haven't figured out a syntax that works with all shells). This makes me
wonder whether it was a good idea to make vim module work out of the box.
Perhaps a more robust alternative was to ask the uses to copy 2context.vim
to $HOME/.vim/scripts/ and forget about getting mtxrun to locate the file.
What do others think?

Aditya