[NTG-context] Script to automatically generate typescripts

Michael Murphy michael.murphy at uni-ulm.de
Fri Jun 4 18:05:02 CEST 2010

On 04/06/2010 13:16, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 12:29:32PM +0200, luigi scarso wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 12:21 PM, Mojca Miklavec
>> <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> What about presenting your work at the ConTeXt conference and in MAPS magazine?
>>>
>>> You'll be able to meet the biggest ConTeXt gurus there, learn a lot
>>> from them, Luigi will give you a short lesson on "Why I switched from
>>> Python to Lua"
>> "Because it's better
>> That's all folks -- free time now"
>>
>> The best presentation ever, even better than Taco's one at last eurotex meeting.
>>
>> I switched from python to Lua x context, this is true;
>> I'm still using it for other tasks, particularly  Plone,
>> and sometimes sagemath.
>> It's not a bad language at all.
>
> When it comes to writing non-luatex code, I'll pick python anytime of
> the day, a light language with almost no standard library is not what
> one always need.

Oh God, I really didn't want to generate all this fuss, it's really a
_very_ primitive script. If I have more time, I'll certainly look into
Lua, but I chose Python because:

a. it handles complicated string operations, io, regex, etc right out of
the box, all of which were needed.
b. I'm slightly above noob level with python, as opposed to almost every
other language (except Fortran, which was not exactly a front-runner)
c. I'm rather more than ignorant about almost every other font tool out
there

I just reckoned that there has got to be a good way of automatically
writing those long, complicated typescripts. I did start such a thing in
emacs, but then realised that its not a very portable solution (although
I do have a whole bunch of macros for converting LaTeX and AMSmath code
into ConTeXt if anyone is interested).
--
Michael Murphy