[NTG-context] How to get randomly coloured text in metapost?

Marco netuse at lavabit.com
Tue May 11 17:48:09 CEST 2010

Hi,

how to get random colours for text inside textext? Take a look at the
following example (MKIV).

\definecolor [static] [r=.9, g=.7, b=.8]
\starttext
\startuseMPgraphic {1}

def col=
  (uniformdeviate(1),uniformdeviate(1),uniformdeviate(1))
enddef;

% These dots have a random color
for i=0 upto 5:
  fill fullcircle scaled 5mm xshifted i*1cm withcolor col;
endfor;

% withcolor does not work, »Test« is black
for i=0 upto 5:
  label(textext("Test"), (i*1cm,-1cm))  withcolor col;
endfor;

% To get a static color I use the following construct
for i=0 upto 5:
  label(textext("\color[static]Test"), (i*1cm,-2cm));
endfor;

\stopuseMPgraphic
\useMPgraphic {1}
\stoptext

Is it possible to get the metapost construct »withcolor« to work with
text or do I have to take a different approach?

Thanks for any help.
Marco