[NTG-context] Unicode bibliography

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 10:44:51 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:14, Michael Saunders wrote:

> What do you use now?  Is there something better?

I don't know any better tool. JabRef seems great.

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 09:57,  <richard.stephens at converteam.com> wrote:

>> Long ago (when I was still using JabRef) I was thinking about creating
>> support for export into ConTeXt-specific format.
>
> What a teaser! So if you're not using JabRef now, what are you using and
> why?

Eeeeem ... vim (or TextMate), but I guess that's not the answer you
were expecting.

As for the "why" part:
1.) I don't have too many references to manage/work with.
2.) One of the reasons for not actually writing support for ConTeXt
output in JabRef was that ConTeXt is able to read bib files; and one
of the reasons why I started using just plain text editor was that
JabRef didn't create such a ConTeXt-friendly format.
3.) Until 2005 I was more heavily engaged in the field where almost
every article I had to cite was in PubMed which is no longer true.
JabRef has an enourmous added value when one needs to use citeseer or
PubMed. What I would need now would be DOI2bib converter. As soon as
the time spent on copy-pasting data from article web pages to bib
files will outweight the time spent writing the converter, I'll
probably start writing one (but that still won't be comparable with
JabRef).

What still makes me wonder is tha fact that there are problems with
Unicode. I don't remember any, though I admit that I'm not sure if I
ever cited any non-English item.

Mojca