[NTG-context] Ligaturing in footnotes.

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 18 14:36:01 CEST 2010

Am 18.04.10 12:27, schrieb Philipp Gesang:
> On 2010-04-18<10:07:35>, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Am 17.04.10 12:49, schrieb Philipp Gesang:
>>> After switching to the "smallcaps” font feature set, the surrounding
>>> “default” set is not restored when leaving the group if and only if
>>> the \bgroup was the first token inside the footnote.
>>>
>>> (I know lm doesn't offer smcp as font feature but the problem is the
>>> same with the font I'm using.  Try it e.g. on Minion from the acroread
>>> free fonts.)
>> When you take a closer look you can see kerning is also lost in the first
>> footnote but when you need smallcaps only for the regular font you can
>> use typescripts.
>
> Thanks, I'll adapt my typescripts, then.  But shouldn't setting font
> features work as well?
I think so, it has also the advantage that you can set italic and boldcaps.
> Seems odd that the behaviour that disables
> kerning and ligaturing occurs in exactly this particular context.
A nice trick i found in the core (typo-cap.mkiv)

\def\sc{\setfontfeature{smallcaps}} % \addff{smallcaps}?

\definefontfeature [default] [default] [mode=node,onum=yes]
\definefontfeature [smallcaps] [default] [smcp=yes]

\setupenumerations[footnote][before=\char\zerocount\relax]

\setupbodyfont[pagella]

\starttext
\footnote{ \bgroup \sc Test \ -- \egroup Test -- .}
\footnote{ -- \bgroup \sc Test -- \egroup Test -- .}
\footnote{ \bgroup Test -- \egroup Test -- .}
\footnote{ \bgroup \it Test -- \egroup Test -- .}
\stoptext

Wolfgang