[NTG-context] The ConTeXt book

Michael Saunders odradek5 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 01:20:02 CEST 2010

> > 1. columns and marginal notes conflict:
>
> For some of the issues, it would be perhaps a good idea to make proper
> bug-reports (with minimal example of course).

In some other venue?

> P.S.: Please consider fixing or changing your email client: it breaks the threads.

Gmail.  This is broken?

> > 2. leftward protrusion fails
> > \definefontfeature[...][default][...,protrusion=quality,expansion=quality]
> > \setupalign[hanging,hz]
> > \showgrid  % or \showframe
> > There is no leftward protrusion at all.  Everything on the left edge
> > is flush with the margin, even 'T' and 'J'.  Similarly:
> >
> Don't know what you mean, works here.
>
> \definefontfeature[default][default][protrusion=quality]
>
> \usetypescript[modern]
> \setupbodyfont[modern]

The only difference I see is that I'm trying to use a different font
than modern:

 \usetypescriptfile[type-garamond]
\starttypescript [MTbook]
    \definetypeface[MTbook][rm][serif][garamondMD][optical]
\stoptypescript

\usetypescript[MTbook]
\setupalign[hanging,hz]
\setupbodyfont[MTbook,12pt]

So, leftward protrusion only works with Latin Modern?

> > 3. protrusion fails in footnotes:
> > Even on the right edge.  Hz isn't happening in them either.
> >
> You have to enable it separate for notes.

> \setupnote[footnote][align={normal,hanging}]

I got rightward protrusion with that, but it looks like no hz.
Why are the key-values different?  I also tried {quality,quality} and
got nothing.

> > 5. footnotes break between pages
> > How do I stop this?
> >
> No example, no help!

Imagine:

<one page full of lorem ipsum... containing \footnote{half-page of
lorem ipsum...} >

The footnote will begin on page one, break halfway through, and
continue on the following page.  I want to prevent footnotes from
breaking in this way.
If you really need to see 1.5 pages of concrete "lorem ipsum" posted
to understand the problem, I can provide it.

> > 9. \raisebox?
> > What is the proper way to raise or lower a bit of text?  I just spent

> \raisebox{1ex}{?}

When I try:

\raisebox{1ex}{--}

Context stops on the error:

"A <box> was supposed to be here

\raisebox{1ex}{
		--}"

> What should ConTeXt do when your font doesn't provide the allcaps feature.

Some of the punctuation (e.g., hyphens, en- and em-dashes) should be
raised slightly and perhaps given a little extra spacing.  The feature
is in my serif font, but not in my sans, hence my effort to correct
this.

> > 10.  problematic characters in grid typesetting.
> > Unless I set grid=verytolerant, my 'Q' knocks the next line down a
> > notch.  Is there a better way to deal with this?
> >
> You can change the height/depth ratio of a line.
> \setupinterlinespace[height=0.6,depth=0.4]

I must remember to put that convenient command before every majescule Q.

By the way---I am thrilled to hear of and very eager to see Idris's book!

> But maybe a select audience of test-able volunteers will be the way to go...

I volunteer to be testable.

> Yep. But when you actually run into one of these problems in LaTeX, you
> are often more or less left alone - unlike ConTeXt and this list.

I'm pursuing it with the hope of more beautiful results, but I'm not
getting my problems solved here so far.