[NTG-context] The ConTeXt book

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sat Apr 3 10:51:33 CEST 2010

On 3-4-2010 7:37, Gour wrote:

> However, when I ask somewhere about the support for ConTeXt I'm
> getting answers like: "This is the project which has only 5 or 6
> users. Who actually uses it? Use LaTeX!" :-(

you must be kidding ... there are some 600 people on this list whih
makes it actually not that small tex list; it's also one of the active
tex lists

also keep in mind that lates (+amsmath) was declared 'a standard' soon
after tex surfaced ... just wonder why currently there are only two main
macro packages: latex and context .. it sometimes surprises me that
eventually we made it to this stage

also, quite some developments originate and relate to the context
community which might also be a good sign

as taco mentions ... 99% of the latex books are not written by lamport

also, even today i see books show up that cover the same topics every
time so it looks like none of the books is the definitive answer

anyway ... idris is writing a context book so push him to speed up

> This raises another concern and that is: what is the future of ConTeXt
> is Hans "get hit by the bus"? (Of course, we even do not want to think
> about it...)

there are couple of folks out there (and on the list) who know the
source code pretty well so i would not worry to much about that