[NTG-context] German ConTeXt Initiative

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 21:13:09 CET 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 20:54, Peter Münster wrote:

> What are the advantages of a forum over a mailing list?

Apart from what Hannes wrote, one of advantages that I see is that for
someone who is not actively participating, it's a bit annoying to
recieve 40 mails per day that do not interest him at all just in order
to be able to recieve the answer.

If there would be some software, I would prefer a solution that would
work as a hybrid between forum and mailing list though (for someone
who is not willing to be subscribed, it would work as a forum with
ability to mark that one wants to get a notification when someone
answers). For others it would work as a mailing list ...

It would also be nice to be able to add some additional marks. For
example, I would find it helpful if users (or maybe a few moderators)
could mark threads with:
- bug report / feature request / question for usage / discussion
- waiting for satisfactory answer / resolved / fixed
- some topic-related marks
then it would also be easier to search through archives (for example
if one would decide to write an extensive testbed including all the
bugs that have ever appeared or if Hans had plenty of time and decided
to review pending feature requests etc.).

I was impressed by HyperNews, although it could offer a bit better
user interface (example of usage:
http://hypernews.slac.stanford.edu/HyperNews/geant4/cindex).

Mojca