[NTG-context] ntg-context Digest, Vol 69, Issue 77

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Mar 14 17:42:46 CET 2010

On 14-3-2010 17:21, Michael Saunders wrote:

> It's very easy to use, and it allows me to access any feature of my
> fonts with a digraph switch.  Also, it keeps the different kinds of
> shapes on independent axes, so I can say:
> \it 123 \in 456 \bd 238 \rm 909
> to get the numbers set in:

such short commands can clash ... for instance \in is a command already

> italic; italic inferiors; bold italic inferiors; bold roman inferiors,
> because I also have the weight and width on separate axes.
> I can't imagine anything simpler to use.

> in one file and then invoking it in another with (I think maybe?):
> \usetypescript[that other typescript from somewhere]
> \usebodyfont[WhateverSmallcaps]
>
> is easier than saying:
>
> \sc

\WhateverSmallcaps would work as well

the advantage is that if you then do

{\WhateverSmallcaps bla \bf bla} you'd get a bold smallcaps, given that
there is one; if we're talking open type, a dynamic feature switch works
as well: \addff{smallcaps}

some of these mkii things (\os, \sc) are often side effects of tex
originally using cm fonts mostly, where oldstyle were sitting in a math
font so we needed a special command