[NTG-context] simplefonts

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sat Mar 13 13:16:10 CET 2010

On 13-3-2010 7:19, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 06:35:30AM +0100, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Am 12.03.10 23:29, schrieb Hans Hagen:
>>> ok, i was thinking of embedded optical sized (i.e. one font file
>>> that has several sizes)
>> Is there anything besides different sizes in opentype math fonts and
>> the ruby feature in cjk fonts?
>
> OpenType fonts can set a size feature, setting the optical size of the
> font and the size range in which it is used, so different font files in
> the same family with different optical sizes can be set (like LM).
> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/features_pt.htm#size
> But I don't think there is support for a single font file with different
> optical sizes.

ah

> Fontloader already expose the size info if present, we wrote some code
> for LaTeX that loads the best optical size automatically based on the
> requested font size, it isn't that hard.

sure, it's no big deal to support it, but as said .. i don't have such
fonts (and i don't want illegal copies on my machine) so i haven't
looked into it; also, for the few cases that are there, typescripts can
cover it (if it concerns different font files) .. if it crosses out
paths wolfgang and i can add it to the mkiv heuristics handler