[NTG-context] RCS/git server (was: Transliterator module, 2nd revision)

John Haltiwanger john.haltiwanger at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 12:52:02 CET 2010

Another option is Gitosis:

http://swik.net/gitosis

from
http://scie.nti.st/2007/11/14/hosting-git-repositories-the-easy-and-secure-way:

"

I have been asked more and more these days, "How do I host a Git
repository?" Usually it is assumed that some access control beyond simply
read-only is involved (some users have commit rights). With access control
comes issues of security, and that's a whole other bag of cats. This post is
about presenting an answer to this question, without the fuss.

The rest of this article will be a tutorial showing you how to host and
manage Git repositories with access control, easily and safely. I use an up
and coming tool called *gitosis
<http://eagain.net/gitweb/?p=gitosis.git>*that my friend
Tv <http://eagain.net/> wrote to help make hosting git repos easier and
safer. It manages multiple repositories under one user account, using SSH
keys to identify users. *However, users do *not* need shell accounts on the
server, instead they will talk to one shared account that does not allow
arbitrary commands.* Git itself is used to setup gitosis and manage the Git
repos, which pleases the recursion-seeking orthogonal CS-side of my brain.

"