[NTG-context] MetaPost filesize

Troy Henderson thenders at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 14:54:53 CET 2010

I am writing because there appears to be a very large (i.e.,
approximately a factor of 10) difference in filesizes of the same
MetaPost graphic generated in the following 2 ways

(1) Including a common MetaPost source "common.mp" into a minimal MKIV
document and compiling with `context surface.tex`
(2) Including the same "common.mp" into a minimal MetaPost source file
and compiling with `mpost surface.mp` followed by a `epstopdf
surface.mps`.

In case (1), the resulting PDF is about 445kB whereas in case (2) the
resulting PDF is about 45kB.  I've attached the "surface.tex",
"surface.mp", and "common.mp" for those that wish to test this and
help determine why ConTeXt's output is so much larger than
MetaPost+epstopdf.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Troy Henderson