[NTG-context] Lucida Fonts with MKIV

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 05:06:48 CET 2010

Hello,

Here are some of my observations about Lucida fonts (font part for
now; math part comes later). I made a detailed check of files that are
present on CTAN.

I don't know how Hans' metric files look like, but:
- texfont --ve=yandy ... doesn't do anything here
- texfont --ve=bh ... creates a bunch of files, however *not* the T1
files which are of crucial importance to me; T1 (=ec) is only
supported via virtual fonts. (And even then the character looks just
about terrible, but still better than not having it at all.)

I have fixed the typescripts, so that one doesn't need to generate any
additional files apart from those present on CTAN (and we can also add
them to minimals, but it might be nice to cooperate with Hans first to
prevent any name clashes). I'll send the typescripts once I figure out
some problems, but:

1.) Hans, why does
     \definefontsynonym  [LucidaBright] [file:hlhr.pfb]
fail with the message below? (I can send a complete example off-list.)
How does one use pfb fonts then? Anyway, \definefontsynonym
[LucidaBright] [name:LucidaBright] works fine, so that's ok for now.
Using the accents in XeTeX would require extra tricks anyway, so
concentrating on pdftex and luatex seems reasonable.

2.) When reading typescripts for mkii with mkiv ("ec" encoding that is
based on virtual fonts), I don't get any accent at all, not even š and
ž that are part of texnansi encoding and are present in font. Why is
that?

3.) When creating a devoted mkiv typescript, č is missing (and so are
ćđ, but I can live without the two of them as long as Nino is not
nearby :), however not being able to use č is a no-go for me.

I'll get to math later. At the moment I had to figure out how the
files are organized and how to use them without having to depend on
texfont.

Mojca

---------------------------------

Here's the error when using [file:something.pfb] as file name:

! LuaTeX error ...cida/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/font-def.lua:308:
attempt to call field '?' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	...cida/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/font-def.lua:308: in function 'read'
	...cida/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/font-def.lua:585: in function 'read'
	...cida/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/font-ctx.lua:367: in
function 'command_2'
	<main ctx instance>:1: in main chunk.
\lowleveldefinefont ...lax , "\relativefontid " )}
                                                  \edef \somefontspec {at \s...
\xxdododefinefont ...efont {#4}\newfontidentifier
                                                  \fi \csname \newfontidenti...
\applyfontclassstrategies ...\fontsize \endcsname
                                                  \else \expandafter \fontcl...
\synchronizefont ...lse \applyfontclassstrategies
                                                  \fi \autofontsizefalse \if...
\rm ->\ifmmode \mathrm \else \normalrm
                                       \fi
\doswitchstyle ...e \csname \@style@ #1\endcsname