[NTG-context] tracking changes (was: Re: What do you miss in ConTeXt?)

Kevin D. Robbins robbins.kevin.d at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 16:24:51 CET 2010

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reference to your thread from 2006. In my post the other day,
I was just wishing for a changebar capability to be fully integrated to
ConTeXt now that we have LuaTeX. Leveraging Lua, we could have a
cross-platform way to visually markup the changes between two versions.

I don't mean to speak for John, but your suggestion to use version control
to 'precisely record' the changes between two versions of the same document
addresses the need only of the author(s) or others with understanding and
access to the version control system.

For me, changebars provide a useful way to definitively show users the
changes between two releases of large document without resorting to the
common practice (one I dislike) of including a table of significant changes
at the start of the document.

Cheers,

Kevin