[NTG-context] XML schema or DTD for describing pages or ads?

Henning Hraban Ramm hraban at fiee.net
Wed Feb 3 15:44:25 CET 2010

Am 2010-01-28 um 20:58 schrieb William Adams:

> Does anyone have any such? Or links?
>
> The only reasonable one I'm finding on-line is for an INX builder
> tool (which makes .inx files which can be loaded into InDesign).

In 2004 I tried to find a XML representation for newspaper ads (we
needed a transport format between different systems).

I had a look at Scribus' format, but at least the version of that time
was rather messy and badly documented.

I looked at OpenOffice XML and noticed they use a SVG subset for
graphics. So we settled on SVG.

After a while I even got the developers of our online-ad-builder to
deliver usable SVG (they refused to read the specs...).

SVG Print specs looked rather usable at that time and I expected a RFC
release soon - today there's still none, and the working draft of
2007-12 is the latest... :-(  http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGPrint/

Since we weren't interested in multi-page documents, our only problems
were colors (CMYK, Spot and ICC-based).

If you'd like to go the Adobe way - there's not only INX (InDesign
Interchange format), but also another XML format that's produced if
you pull "snippets" to the Desktop. And vjoon (ex K4) developers told
me, they'd use that format for their InDesign-based editorial system.
I don't know how similar those two are.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---