[NTG-context] Split Table Numbering

Tad Ashlock tad.ashlock at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 00:34:15 CET 2010

Hi All,

How do I go about getting split tables to be numbered as, for example,
1.3a and 1.3b, instead of 1.3 and 1.4?  I'm using "bychapter"
numbering.

Example (also attached as tadtest3.tex):

\setupcaption[table][way=bychapter]

\starttext

\chapter{Chapter Name}

\dorecurse{3}{\input knuth\par}

\placetable[split]{Table Caption}%
{ \bTABLE[split=repeat]%
  \bTABLEhead
  \bTR\bTH Table Header \eTH\eTR
  \eTABLEhead
  \bTABLEbody
  \dorecurse{10}{\bTR\bTD table row \eTD\eTR}
  \eTABLEbody
  \eTABLE}

The problem with the current numbering scheme is that it doesn't
indicate that a single, split table is different than two separate
tables.

Another problem is that the tables end up getting numbered differently
for different output formats (e.g. print vs. screen).  So for
instance, you can't refer to "table 4.7" in an e-mail, because you
might be looking at the presentation version of the document, but
others might be looking at the printed version.

Thanks,
Tad