[NTG-context] using `` '' the output is wrong.

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Jan 20 10:10:07 CET 2010

On 20-1-2010 8:28, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 January 2010 08:04:43 Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>> The problem is that all the latex and plain tex books promote
>> the use of `` and '' and people that already use TeX are unlikely
>> to change their habits (and most will not read the context manual
>> as thoroughly as they should).
>>

> This is my concern. Whereas I do prefer \quotation{} being functionally
> logical, after all the spirit of TeX, I also like unicode generalizations
> (such as ± for \pm). Nevertheless, hard core TeX users as well as converts
> from LaTeX *expect* ``'', --, ---, ..., etc. to work in ConTeXt. I assume that
> the present discussion is useful and not simply controversial.

one can always write small script that converts `` '' to \quotation

(actually one of my reasons for never using `` '' is that it looks quite
ugly in the source as the second pair is not tilted and i hate ugly
looking sources)

> I ignore the mechanisms behind the different implementations (macro, fonts,
> catcar, ...) and the problems that arise.
>
> Concerning typesetting source code, I would suggest something as simple as
> suspending ALL such tricks within \text{} and \starttyping\stoptyping (perhaps
> parametrized). One could also define something like \shellescape{}, analogous
> to \quotation{}, to typeset `echo "hello world"` and even \string{} to typeset
> "string" or 'string', according to the programming language initialized.

indeed this backtick is to be dealt with by a command as it differs per
operating system

> What I also find disturbing is that *some* of these conventions are retained,
> but not all.

in principle we can even drop $ and & as we now have primitives for them
and # can go also at some point (but unfortunately tex is somewhat
sensitive for #s passed in arguments