[NTG-context] ! Unable to make mpx file.

nicola vitacolo at dimi.uniud.it
Sat Mar 24 11:38:26 CET 2007

In article <227536.60644.qm at web55306.mail.re4.yahoo.com>,
 Steve MC Han <hmc0907 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>   I was wondering if you could give me some direction. I'm having this error
>   message in doing metapost.
>

>   ! Unable to make mpx file.
> l.78 label.bot(btex
>                     $\hbox{\sf Rectangle}$ etex, (0,-.6u));

I don't know if that can help, but I had a similar problem some time ago.
Try

tex --parse-first-line --interaction=nonstopmode mpxerr.tex

to see the error message. In my case, it turned out that the problem was
format-related: latex.fmt had been written by pdfetex, but makempx was
calling tex instead of pdfetex. The solution was to add the line:

TEX=pdfetex

to texmf.cnf. I was experiencing the problem with gwTeX, though: since I
am using TeX Live 2007 I have no problem at all. For your reference,
this is the thread:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.metapost/323/focus=330

Nicola