[NTG-context] XeTeX and built-in glyph generation

Philipp Reichmuth reichmuth at web.de
Thu Nov 2 12:15:24 CET 2006

Hans Hagen schrieb:
> Philipp Reichmuth wrote:
>> - character[ range]s which get passed directly to the underlying engine
>> (useful mainly with XeTeX and possibly with Aleph/Omega)
>> - character[ range]s which get constructed from accents
>> - character[ range]s which get used from a different typescript; for
>> example if I have passages or quotations in a script which isn't
>> available in my typescript, it would be nice to say that "all
>> IPA/Greek/Old Church Slavonic" should come from a substitution
>> typescript where these scripts are available and look good.
>
> we're going to built that kind of logic (and a bit more) into luatex / context mkiv ; after that we can see to what extend we can support the xetex way as well
>
> after tug 2006 we enter the font part pf the luatex/orientaltex project

OK.  Sounds great.  If you need a tester, I'll be more than happy to
provide lots of awkward cases and sift through them.

In the meantime, is it possible to enable/disable ConTeXt's UTF-8
handler selectively for pieces of text?  such as:

\starttext
\enableregime[utf]
- some Unicode text processed by CoNTeXt for diacritics etc. -
\disableregime[utf]
- some Unicode text in some other script processed natively by XeTeX -
\stoptext

That would do the job in the meantime.

Philipp