[NTG-context] frame "thickness"

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Fri Oct 20 16:52:42 CEST 2006

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> 2006/10/20, andrea valle <valle at di.unito.it>:
>>
>> > By the way, is there a way where the command is listed?
>> >

>> (I mean, the option "ruledthickness" indeed)
>>
>> -a-
>>

>> Andrea Valle
>

> Hi Anrea,
>
> the option rulethickness for the framed macro is nowhere listed in
> one if the manuals, it is only mentioned in the wiki als parmater
> for natural Tables http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TABLE#Make_a_cell_bold
> and at the page for the animated euro sign
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/EuroAnim.
>
> It is currently missing in the commanindex setup-en.pdf (and the
> neccesary file cont-en.xml).
>
> The best sources are only the sources if you want to know  which
> options are available for every command.

True indeed. This is what I usually do to find out about an option. Search
texwebshow for options. If it is there, read the manual for the
description.

If I do not find any relevant option, but know that ConTeXt ought to have
an option for what I want (which usually means that it will), look in the
sources. My strategy for searching the sources involves finding out which
source file defines the option. (search on sources.contextgarden.net work
for most cases, I use grep for the cases which are more trickier to find).
Most (all?) commands come with an accompanying \setup command, which
initiallizes all the options for the command. This way, one knows atleast
which options a command will accept. In most cases guessing the
functionality of an option is easy, as ConTeXt uses a consistent interface
for everything. Sometimes, when I have no clue what that option does, I
search where the option is used. Most options are stored using
\getparameters[\??xx] where xx is a two letter abbreviation. Then you can
search for \@@xxoption to see where it is used. That way, you can usually
guess what an option does.

The sources also have some examples that are usually useful in
understanding a few tricks about the command.

If I still can not figure out, I ask on the mailing list.

Aditya