[NTG-context] Create a directory using tex

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Aug 30 09:30:49 CEST 2006

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>

>> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>   I want to create a macro that writes files in a sub directory.
>>> If the directory is already created, things work fine. However, if the
>>> directory is not there, tex complains
>>>
>>> ! I can't write on file ....
>>>
>>> Please type another output file name:
>>>
>>>   Is there a way I can ask tex to create a directory if one does not
>>> exist?
>>>
>> Not with TeX, but you can use \write18 or \installprogram  to run a
>> system command.
>>

> Can I ask TeX to check if a directory exists or is writable. I want it
> to give an informative message if the directory does not exist.
>
> Or is there a way to check if a file is writable, so that I can do
>
> \doiffilewritable{dir/tempfile}{\donothing}{\message{Warning}{Please
> create directory 'dir' \endinput}

for a while there has been a way to ask for file characteristics
(x-dir-01 can be used to generate a clickable listing and x-dir-05 for
indentifying files)

permissions were not part of that but easy to add, i'm generating you a
beta that has permissions added

\usemodule[x][dir-05]

\getfilestate{context.tex}

\doifinstringelse{w}{\getvariable{filestate}{permissions}}
  {writable}
  {not writable}

\end