[NTG-context] A few questions (mostly about fonts)

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Aug 16 23:41:43 CEST 2006

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 8/16/06, Jeff Smith wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm fairly new to ConTeXt (which I greatly admire, by the way) and
>> after reading a couple of provided manuals, I have some lingering
>> questions. I thank anyone in advance for replying to any number of
>> them.
>>
>> The fonts manual mentions how TeX is often qualified as 'the font
>> mess'. Well, yeah, my head hurts right now... :-( Here are some
>> font-related issues that are very important to me:

don't forget that when tex came around much of this digital font was
still unexplored

also, any font related mechanism is complex as soon as math gets
involved; if computer modern would not have had design sizes much would
have been simplier as well; another factor is that  most font
subsystems  were written when tex's hash was still small and font memory
expensive ; of course the (sometimes global) character of font settings
also plays havoc

anyhow, tex users will always demand features beyond what is easy