[NTG-context] compiling project files

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Tue Aug 15 22:29:10 CEST 2006

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, Boris Tschirschwitz wrote:

> Let's say I have the following project structure
>
> project.tex
> env.tex
> product1.tex
>  component1.tex
>  component2.tex
> product2.tex
>
> Here, really, the whole project generates a single pdf at the end.
>
> Now, when working on component1, I would run
> $ texmfstart texexec project.tex
>
> Should I rather run texexec on product1.tex or component1.tex? Or maybe use
> texmfstart in some other way?

You should run texexec on prouct or component (not on the project)

> I am wondering about this because
> 1. Perter says
>   > Only components and products should be compiled.

Suppose you are typesetting a collection of books. Then project.tex
should have common setup for all the books. product1.tex can be first
book, product2.tex can be second book etc. component1.tex can be first
chapter of the first book, etc. So, you are not supposed to compile
the complete project.

> 2. When compiling projects that include MPgraphics, I have to run that
> texmfstart line
>   above twice to see changes to MPgraphics in my pdf. I thought
that one
> idea behind
>   texexec is that it takes care of all incantations, like "make" in
> programming.

This should not happen.

Aditya

> On 8/14/06, Peter Münster <pmlists at free.fr> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 12 Aug 2006, Derek Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> > The .tuo file for the _product_ file shows the files being loaded.
>> > Compiling the _project_ file yields no .tuo. My product file does
>> > indeed look like what you wrote.
>>
>> Hello Derek,
>> it's not intended to compile the project file. It should contain only
>> common setups for all products.
>> Only components and products should be compiled.
>> Cheers, Peter
>>
>> --
>> http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

Aditya Mahajan, EECS Systems, University of Michigan
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~adityam || Ph: 7342624008