[NTG-context] A bug in character alignment?

Nicolas Grilly nicolas at garden-paris.com
Tue Aug 1 17:07:07 CEST 2006

Peter Münster wrote:

> Nicolas Grilly wrote:
> > But I have a little issue with character alignment. I have several
> > tables following each other. First and second tables are well aligned.
> > But following tables have some columns mis-aligned. You can see the
> > result in the attached file report_with_bug.pdf (look at column 4 of
> > tables 3, 4, 5 and 6).
>
> Sorry, I can't see it. The column are right-aligned, which is normal, since
> there is no alignment-character.

No, it is not normal. ConTeXt Wiki says "if there's no
alignmentcharacter in the cell, the content will be aligned in the
following way depending on the value of \characteralignmentmode".

By default, characteralignmentmode=4. Therefore, according to the
wiki, cell content should be aligned on the last character of each
cell.

Details are here: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TABLE#Using_character_alignment

> > \setupTABLE[column][each][align={middle,lohi}, aligncharacter=yes,
> >   alignmentcharacter={;}]
>                        ^^^
> Could you explain this?

I want to align my numbers on the last character, whatever it is. I
don't want to align my numbers on a comma or a dot. I use
alignmentcharacter={;} just because there is no semi-colon in my
tables. This way, ConTeXt defaults to characteralignementmode=4.

But, to get my issue easier to understand, I change my example and use
alignmentcharacter={,} and, guess what, the "bug" is still here:
- look at the attached PDF (for example look at table 1 where every
columns are well aligned; then look at table 3, 4 and 5 where fourth
column is incorrect) ;
- look at the attached .tex file used to produce the PDF.

I continue to think there is some side effect in code maning character
alignement, probably a global variable not reset or something else.

> The only "bug" I see, is the missing accent:
> "Evolution" should be "Évolution"

You're right: the accent is missing, and it's a typographical error. I
guess you live in France to see such a thing!

Thank you very much for your help.

--
Nicolas Grilly
www.garden-paris.com