[NTG-context] Lucida Bright Font Problem

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Jul 31 23:38:15 CEST 2006

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> But then again I didn't understand how it was possible that so many
> people were using lucida without any problems. (And that it was only
> me who had problems installing the font - I simply took all the files
> from the "LaTeX world" and forgot about using texfont, which caused me
> some headaches until now anyway.)

when i started using lucida (many years ago) they came with tfm files
(texnansi) abut nowadays i just generate the metrics with texfont

because yandy went away tug now sells the fonts, and as a result new
metrics for latex were made; i'm not sure with what (afm) files the
fonts ship nowadays but i'm not going to change/adapt my local setup
(too tricky) to different lucida spacing and metrics; the font metrics
zip has them

>> \usetypescript[lucida][\defaultencoding]
>>

> Hmmm ... Yesterday I figured out that lucida doesn't support EC (ie.
> doens't have enough glyphs to cover Slovenian and Croatian). I guess
> that only texnansi is a sensible choice. :(
>
> (I hoped that empty slots in Hans's manuals were a consequence of
> faulty ec.enc files, but now I figured out that the font has indeed
> many glhyps missing.)

my impression is that when ec was made nobody cared much about eastern european languages; for some reason the hardly (or once per doc) used copyright and registere symbols were considered to be of more importance, alas ...