[NTG-context] arab (omega)

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sun Jun 25 10:08:37 CEST 2006

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
> But the otp makes exceptions for the following punctuation:
>
> + - .
>
> If we get rid of those exceptions the separator problem will go away. But
> then math will be messed up. The problem is that the

My guess is you could just remove the punctuation support from the
current OTP. If a user really needs to say "1.2 million", (s)he can
just write  $1.2$ instead, which is more or less standard TeX
practice anyway.

It is my understanding that the contents of $$ is unaffected by
OTPs (and if it is not, it should be made so. Math is a language
on its own).

> This is a stop-gap solution until we replace otp's with something smarter.
> Taco, Hans, let me know what you think before I work on this.

TeX will never be smart enough to understand that "see figure 1.2" is
fundamentally different from "averaging 1.2 figures per page". Not until
it can actually interpret English text, anyway.

Greetings, Taco