[NTG-context] arab (omega)

Idris Samawi Hamid ishamid at colostate.edu
Sat Jun 24 18:37:41 CEST 2006

Hi Hans,

Thank you very much for this; will test in the coming days (I have not
updated ConTeXt since Jan 28; hope there are are no deadly installation
surprises-) )

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 12:59:59 -0600, Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:

> Hi otp lovers,

Well, `love' is much too strong a word ;-)

> i managed to get this number stuff running (i.e. bypass the otp messing
> up numbers):

How does this happen? I know the otp's have it so that numerals are always
typeset l-r, is there some nasty side-effect?

Hmm just checked:

5792-684

and

5792{}-{}684

produce two different results; the second one is correct. The otp includes
the separator as part of the number (unless it is isolated-) I will look
at the responsible otp to see if I can fix this at the otp level.

> i'm uploading a beta
>
> beware, there is no need to setup separators, and no need to reverse
> numbers!
>
> \def\ArabicUTF
>   {\ArabicDirGlobal
>    \usefiltersequence[UTFArabic]%
>    \switchtobodyfont[omarb]%
>    \isolateseparators} % will handle separators

Ah! you also isolate the separators; should be possible in the otp...

> of course you should not expect proper kerning when isolation is used
> with latin

Why is this?

> things like this actually need some advanced control (special otp's for
> difference situations, depending on what one's dealing with, then to be
> hooked into the code at the right place, which is tricky since it may
> get lost later one etc etc)
>
> still messed up: math display formulas, strange number reversion and
> swapping l/r [since omega has bugs with math i'm not sure what is the
> reason]
>
> maybe duncan/idris/taco have an idea

I will look at it; need examples etc.

Thnx as always