[NTG-context] Linux upgrade

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Fri Jun 23 17:54:26 CEST 2006

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006, John R. Culleton wrote:

> On Thursday 22 June 2006 09:37 pm, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> Hi John,
>>   Others will be able to tell you better on how to upgrade on Linux (I
>> myself use windows) but
>>
>>> standard /usr/share/texmf tree. No joy. I get messages telling me to use
>>> the texmfstart command instead. This is as I recall a Windows thingie.
>>
>> you need texmfstart on linux also. Does everything work fine if you
>> use texmfstart?
>>
> Not yet. I am unsure what texmfstart is supposed to do. It is a
> Ruby script. Does it replace texexec or does it manage texexec?

texmfstart is a ruby script which manages texexec and other context
script. Basically, instead of calling any script directly, call it
using texmfstart. So,

texexec filename

becomes

texmfstart texexec filename

texutil

becomes

texmfstart texutil

(though most of the functionality has been replaced by ctxtools) and
so on. texmfstart makes sure that the script at the right path is
called and also speeds up things a little when calling different
utilities. It also provides some useful things like ifchanged and
iftoughed. There is a texmfstart manual (bit out of date). Simply
typing texmfstart on the shell lists the available switches.

Aditya