[NTG-context] bib amd mods

Bruce D\'Arcus bdarcus.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 19:25:10 CEST 2006

Hans Hagen <pragma <at> wxs.nl> writes:

> since we're talking databases here, i think the focus should be on what
> kind of (intermediate) format suits typesetting best (could be different
> from the databse structure)

There may be trade-offs, but if you get too typesetting-oriented,
you cause other problems.

[...]

> but that's still the database part of it, isn't it ( i never really used
> rdf - only looked at it)

An example description:

   <Paper rdf:about="http://ex.net/1">
      <title>Paper</title>
      <author>
         <Person>
            <givenName>John</givenName>
            <familyName>Smith</familyName>
         </Person>
      </author>
      <presentedAt>
         <Conference>
            <title>ABC Conference</title>
            <endDate>2004-03-12</endDate>
            <startDate>2004-03-15</startDate>
         </Conference>
      </presentedAt>
   </Paper>

This is indeed more "database-oriented", complete with the capability
to normalize all of that by breaking out persons and such into separate
descriptions and linking them. But it's not hard to process for
formatting either (easier than MODS I think).

> so csl is the formatting spec thing (the oo site is not that
> informative; i always like to *see* code -)

Correct. Subversion repo for the entire project (including schema
for CSL, and the start of a Ruby port of citeproc) is here:

<http://sourceforge.net/svn/?group_id=117435>

Bruce