[NTG-context] [OT] Is Indesign CS 2 better than ConTeXt ?

Nikolai Weibull now at bitwi.se
Fri May 26 13:51:43 CEST 2006

On 5/26/06, Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:

> concerning id ... it's non free, never sure what happens in ten years (adobe dropped pagemaker, (i'm told) messed up frame, so ...) and in order to process older docs will run into compatibility problems some day; supporting pdf trickery is not a real argument, since my experience is that tex is always first in supporting new features; however, adobe is the typesetter company favorite, if only because they use more adobe things (and also because they can keep changing per page which is more proffitable than change for a simple stylesheet once); and ... publishers don't really care about costs anyway so ...)

I'd just like to add that InDesign is often misused by its users, so
don't expect other people to use InDesign like you think you will.  I
work at a company that does translations, and, for us, dealing with
InDesign documents is about the most painful job there is.  Sure, the
documents may look good, but the means to getting the documents are
often not justifiable.  But I guess it's more of an issue of the users
not knowing how to use their software than there being a problem with
the software itself.

To that I'd like to add that I really don't like WYSIWYG because it's
rarely true.  And if you want to do professional work you really want
something as flexible as TeX.  Also, TeX scales really well, from
small pamphlet-like documents to large books.  The same can't be said
for InDesign.

  nikolai