[NTG-context] i-Installer / minimal TeX installation for ConTeXt?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Jan 10 23:09:49 CET 2006

Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 12:23:17 -0700, David Wooten <dw at trichotomic.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Greetings all,
>>
>> By and by I've found that I am only using ConTeXt for my typesetting
>> needs. I am curious as to whether someone can advise me how best to
>> install a suitable yet minimal TeX installation:  without LaTeX, etc.
>> I  am currently using Gerben's very helpful i-Installer.
>>
>> Perhaps it would vary too much between users to say definitively?
>

> Such a distro exists for windows. Someone would have to take
> responsibility for a Mac setup, and I suppose that's one reason why
> Hans  has not (yet) a similar package for Mac (or Linix)

a minimal is:

- the smallest complete context tree possible (lots of fonts)
- platform related binaries

(minimal trees can be used (and are faster than the distributed big
ones) and i myself prefer such small trees in server processes)

i do generate them for all platforms that i run into but i must admit
that i don't keep the mac binaries as up to date as needed; the reason
is that Gerben keeps his installer very up to date, so for the average
tex user on the mac a minimal tree is mainly a reference tree; the best
person to ask hwo to do a latexless install on the mac is Gerben