[NTG-context] Monospace Fonts for Verbatim

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Jan 10 14:25:12 CET 2006

Louis Springer wrote:

> I have a typescript I am using for a custom font, but the custom font
> has no monospace variant appropriate for verbatim text. I'm
> attempting to use Courier or some other monospace font for verbatim
> and maintain my custom font for normally typeset serf text.
>
> My broken typescript is as follows:
>
> \starttypescript [map][sunsans,sunserif][texnansi]
> \loadmapfile[texnansi-sun-sunsans.map]
> \loadmapfile[texnansi-sun-sunserif.map]
> \stoptypescript
>
> % sans serif
> \starttypescript [sans] [sunsans] [name]
> \definefontsynonym[Sans]                [SunSans-Regular]
> \definefontsynonym[SansItalic]            [SunSans-Italic]
> \definefontsynonym[SansBold]            [SunSans-RegularDemi]
> \definefontsynonym[SansBoldItalic]        [SunSans-Regular-BoldOblique]
> \stoptypescript
>

> \starttypescript [sans] [sunsans] [texnansi]
> \usetypescript[sans][fallback]
> \definefontsynonym[SunSans-Heavy][texnansi-SunSans-Heavy]
> [encoding=texnansi]
> \definefontsynonym[SunSans-Italic][texnansi-SunSans-Italic]
> [encoding=texnansi]
> \definefontsynonym[SunSans-Regular-Bold][texnansi-SunSans-Regular-
> Bold][encoding=texnansi]
> \definefontsynonym[SunSans-Regular-BoldOblique][texnansi-SunSans-
> Regular-BoldOblique][encoding=texnansi]
> \definefontsynonym[SunSans-Regular][texnansi-SunSans-Regular]
> [encoding=texnansi]
> \definefontsynonym[SunSans-RegularDemi][texnansi-SunSans-RegularDemi]
> [encoding=texnansi]
> \stoptypescript
>

> %serif
> \starttypescript [serif] [sunserif] [name]
> \definefontsynonym[Serif]                [SunSerif-Regular]
> \definefontsynonym[SerifItalic]            [SunSerif-Italic]
> \definefontsynonym[SerifBold]            [SunSerif-Regular-Bold]
> \definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic]        [SunSerif-Regular-Bold-Italic]
> \stoptypescript
>

> \starttypescript [serif] [sunserif] [texnansi]
> \usetypescript[serif][fallback]
> \definefontsynonym[SunSerif-Italic][texnansi-SunSerif-Italic]
> [encoding=texnansi]
> \definefontsynonym[SunSerif-Regular-Bold-Italic][texnansi-SunSerif-
> Regular-Bold-Italic][encoding=texnansi]
> \definefontsynonym[SunSerif-Regular-Bold][texnansi-SunSerif-Regular-
> Bold][encoding=texnansi]
> \definefontsynonym[SunSerif-Regular][texnansi-SunSerif-Regular]
> [encoding=texnansi]
> \stoptypescript
>
> %monospace
> \starttypescript [mono] [sunserif] [name]
> \usetypescript[mono][fallback]
> \definefontsynonym[Serif]                [Mono]
> \stoptypescript

hm, why this way? (It's Mono btw)

> The last bit (around the comment "monospace") is my apparently futile
> attempt to get the verbatim to use the default monospace font. I get
> the desired results with a kludge if I replace
>
> \definefontsynonym[Serif]                [SunSerif-Regular]
>
> with
>
> \definefontsynonym[Serif]                [Mono]
>
> but this affects "normally" typeset serif. Ideally,  I would like to
> have in the  SunSerif-Regular typeface for non-verbatim serif text.

\definetypeface[somesun][rm][serif][sunserif][default]
\definetypeface[somesun][ss][sans][sunsans][default]
\definetypeface[somesun][tt][mono][modern][default][rscale=.9]
\definetypeface[somesun][mm][math][modern][default][rscale=.9]

so, you don't need to define some fake sun mono