[NTG-context] Monospace Fonts for Verbatim

Louis Springer lou at louspringer.com
Sat Jan 7 17:57:46 CET 2006

I have a typescript I am using for a custom font, but the custom font
has no monospace variant appropriate for verbatim text. I'm
attempting to use Courier or some other monospace font for verbatim
and maintain my custom font for normally typeset serf text.

My broken typescript is as follows:

\starttypescript [map][sunsans,sunserif][texnansi]
\loadmapfile[texnansi-sun-sunsans.map]
\loadmapfile[texnansi-sun-sunserif.map]
\stoptypescript

% sans serif
\starttypescript [sans] [sunsans] [name]
\definefontsynonym[Sans]				[SunSans-Regular]
\definefontsynonym[SansItalic]			[SunSans-Italic]
\definefontsynonym[SansBold]			[SunSans-RegularDemi]
\definefontsynonym[SansBoldItalic]		[SunSans-Regular-BoldOblique]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [sans] [sunsans] [texnansi]
\usetypescript[sans][fallback]
\definefontsynonym[SunSans-Heavy][texnansi-SunSans-Heavy]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[SunSans-Italic][texnansi-SunSans-Italic]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[SunSans-Regular-Bold][texnansi-SunSans-Regular-
Bold][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[SunSans-Regular-BoldOblique][texnansi-SunSans-
Regular-BoldOblique][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[SunSans-Regular][texnansi-SunSans-Regular]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[SunSans-RegularDemi][texnansi-SunSans-RegularDemi]
[encoding=texnansi]
\stoptypescript

%serif
\starttypescript [serif] [sunserif] [name]
\definefontsynonym[Serif]				[SunSerif-Regular]
\definefontsynonym[SerifItalic]			[SunSerif-Italic]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBold]			[SunSerif-Regular-Bold]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic]		[SunSerif-Regular-Bold-Italic]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [sunserif] [texnansi]
\usetypescript[serif][fallback]
\definefontsynonym[SunSerif-Italic][texnansi-SunSerif-Italic]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[SunSerif-Regular-Bold-Italic][texnansi-SunSerif-
Regular-Bold-Italic][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[SunSerif-Regular-Bold][texnansi-SunSerif-Regular-
Bold][encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym[SunSerif-Regular][texnansi-SunSerif-Regular]
[encoding=texnansi]
\stoptypescript

%monospace
\starttypescript [mono] [sunserif] [name]
\usetypescript[mono][fallback]
\definefontsynonym[Serif]				[Mono]
\stoptypescript

The last bit (around the comment "monospace") is my apparently futile
attempt to get the verbatim to use the default monospace font. I get
the desired results with a kludge if I replace

\definefontsynonym[Serif]				[SunSerif-Regular]

with

\definefontsynonym[Serif]				[Mono]

but this affects "normally" typeset serif. Ideally,  I would like to
have in the  SunSerif-Regular typeface for non-verbatim serif text.

Lou