[NTG-context] 'Glossary' on every page

Gilles Pérez-Lambert gilles.perez at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 17:47:19 CET 2005

Hello to all,

I have a problem: I want to add a kind of glossary on a book. It will
be, in fact, an explanation of acronyms ('NATO: North Atlantic Treaty
Organisation' for instance).

But... I'd want it on every page, only for the acronyms used on the
current page (and alphabetically sorted if possible)...

I tried using layers (with or without tying them to backgrounds),
blocks (\begin... \end...), buffers, list of synonyms, etc. but I had
problems with one of the requirements or another. :-)

My first idea was to use blocks for each page :

\beginABREV[1]
NATO: North Atlantic Treaty Organisation
\endABREV

\beginABREV[1]
BLOB: Binary Large Object
\endABREV

and to use them with \useblocks[ABREV][\pagenumber] in the footer. To
be sure to give the right page number to \beginABREV, I tried to
define a label and use it, something like (from memory, I don't have
my code near to me):

\reference[abbrev\ABREVcount]% Put a label
\beginABREV[{\ref[r][abbrev\ABREVcount]}]% and use the label to get
the current page on subsequent runs.

but I went on a nightmare of expansion problems... Plus it didn't
eliminate duplicates nor sort the acronyms. But it would have been a
start... :-)

Can someone point me to the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Gilles.